Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lindisfarne Bracelet



In the broadest general terms, inspiration come from the work of others. In this case I was so absorbed in the book by Janet Backhouse, "The Lindisfarne Gospels" from Phaidon Press,Oxford, in association with the Britsh Museum.
I admired the original book on display which is opened to one page only.
This is also the case with the Book of Kells, at Trinity College, Dublin, which by the way does turn the pages on a daily basis. Trinity College Press also has some magnificent plates of the illuminated pages.
Having studied the Lindisfarne Gospels, I admit that the tiny panel on the right hand side of folio 27, the opening of St.Matthew, escaped my attention.
In the book it measures a mere 7x45mm, it is right besides the R of "Liber Generationis Iesu Christi filii David.....".








Scanning the page and enlarging that section I was able to make it fit the measurements of the bracelet, 80x20mm. It is made from 16 gauge or 0.05mm sterling silver. The problem is that to transfer the design to the metal prior to engraving requires a new transfer for each bracelet, this being the case it does make each one rather uinique in that minor differences in the tracing also transfers to the engraving.


To the left you can clearly see the end result, a 2cm wide brcelet in sterling silver with the two dogs and birds deeply engraved and the stippled background to make the design standout.
It is with regret that between the time that I met Ms.Backhouse and the time that I made the bracelets, she passed away. I believe that she would have been very pleased to see how her book has inspired me and many others.




No comments: