Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Mandolin Project



When first I started I started on this buckle I had no idea where it would sell or the type of belt it would go with. I just loved the colouring in the Turquoise, a 30x22mm cabochon, it required something special. So my thinking was along the lines of a simple Celtic knotwork to flank the stone and then wait for some inspiration. Well.............,inspiration like money does not grow on trees. So the best thing is to leave well enough alone, and get on with something else.

As luck would have it, I did not have to wait very long. Alan Martin came to me some time ago for a hand bound book to write his music in, that's a story for another day, but he asked if I could make him a strap for a mandolin. Not just any mandolin, as soon as he opened the case, I was struck with the excuisite workmanship of this instrument.
It did not take long for us to decide on a pattern and colour for the strap, but the fastener was a wee bit of a problem. It had to be adjustable, but when in use it should not move. Alan caught site of the buckle and it was just a matter of deciding how best to attach it and still make fully adjustable. The pin on the buckle was adequate, but it was not inconceivable that it could slip out during a performance. After Alan left I started to ponder the problem and decided that a screw would best ensure that it did not come out of the hole on the belt. As is the case with most small things, they are easily lost and often fiddly to handle. Tap the pin, make a screw, put a bow on the screw and attach a chain. Well as might be expected the chain twists with the screw. So a lobster catch and a bit more chain and all is secure and ship shape.

Here is Alan with Mandolin ans strap in my workshop. The colourof the strap blends very nicely with the stock on the mandolin and my buckle is prominently displayed. Another happy customer and what a pleasure it was find such a novel way of securing the belt.





No comments: